Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Taxidermy

There is something uniquely alluring about taxidermy. It reminds me of upper crust gentlemen's clubs with cigar smoke so thick you can barely see the plaid and toile walls peek through. The thrill of the hunt lives forever in the "trophies" mounted on walls-the ultimate statements of masculinity. Everyone has seen elk taxidermy, and that is certainly the quintessential imagery of taxidermy, but I am especially fascinated my exotic specimens: elephants, leopards, peacocks!



They capture the traditional feel of taxidermy while still being unexpected and certainly a conversation starter. It would be a dream come true to visit Deyrolle in Paris, the mecca of taxidermy. They have giraffes, rare white peacocks, butterflies, big cats, bears, porcupines, fish-everything.

Some people get caught up in the modern social taboos of hunting, but I think taxidermy truly captures the magnificence of our natural world in a tangible way that photographs cannot. Also, the history of taxidermy and its associations with royalty, hunting lodges, and western culture is very intriguing and only adds to its appeal. I like my taxidermy best paired with masculine undertones like dark plaids which emphasize my associations with it. Seven Grand, a whiskey bar in Downtown LA has the most incredible decor that combines everything I like about taxidermy into one fantastic Irish influenced setting.




I think it would be fabulous to have a library decorated like it where you could retire after dinner and enjoy an Old English, a cigar, and one of Hemingway's novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment